Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Mid-Week Cleaning

I've been cleaning my room, slowly, over the past couple of mornings before work. When I start cleaning in one area, I start looking at all the other areas of my life with a critical eye. Like, for example, I think this blog needs a facelift. Maybe I'll get to that eventually.

Another thing I've been trying to do is get my computer organized. It sounds geeky, but if you think about it, it makes a lot of sense. We all clean our real rooms -- rooms with real shelves, real drawers, real desktops. Why not clean up our e-room, with e-folders, e-bins, and e-desktops? After all, everyone is raving about how everything is moving to the computer. It's only a matter of time before all your e-pictures, e-cd's, and e-papers get disorganized and dispersed amongst a network of bins, folders, and places, never to be found again.

It's a rather overwhelming endeavor, especially if you're a writer. I can't even count the number of documents I have (most of which are starts to other things that I never finished). Sure, I could "right" click (a courtesy reference for you PC users, even though people with real computers hold control and click for sub-menus) and have the computer tally the amount of word documents I have in my documents folder; but that assumes I have them all in one place, which is the overarching problem I speak of.

Maybe one day I'll get to it all. For now I'll try to navigate the madness by memory of where and when I created and stored things. Right now, about all I can swing is unstarring all my old Gmail starred emails in this meager attempt to create some semblance of order in one area of my e-life.

I will leave you with my favorite starred email I have found so far, from Kayla Gray on April 1st, 2007:

"VPC is looking to do a party at the church to celebrate college students home and end of the youth school year on SUNDAY, JUNE 17th. We are thinking food, inflatables, music and more! I don't know if you have heard of Leeland - but they are playing and you guys could possibly open or something."

That would have been pretty cool huh? Well, it never happened, sadly. But the least I could have done was unstarred it. Get organized, young man!

-m-

2 comments:

  1. The solution to a lazy e-life? Google Desktop.

    I like reading your posts Martin!

    ReplyDelete