Friday, April 29, 2011

Subway's Menu Is Just... Horrible

As if there wasn't enough to complain about Subway (skimping on toppings, over-toasting your sandwich, giving you the nub, 5" end of a bad cut of a footlong loaf of bread, etc...), their menu layout is downright terrifying.

Sure, most people already know what they want to eat at Subway before they walk in the door.  But if you're like me and always looking for a bargain, you actually do keep track of things like their sub-of-the-month, along with their infamous and ever-changing (even though they think no one is paying attention) $5 Footlong deals.  Sort of like when dollar stores went from being stores where everything was a dollar to stores where everything was a multiple of one dollar.

This is what you see when you walk into most Subway restaurants -- absolute textual and informational anarchy:



























What in the world is going on?!  There is no start, end, flow, or logic to the menu whatsoever.  It looks like sections were pasted together by Ms. Frizzle's elementary school kids on the floor of the bus as they traveled through Barry Bond's cardiovascular system.

Going in order from the text that is most visible to the text that is least visible we see:
- Pizza
- Premium Double Stacked Subs
- Piled High
- Choices
- New Prime Rib
- Extras

I feel like I'm looking at the word bank of a Subway word find.

Now, I'm no organizational guru, nor am I an interior decorator, nor a professional graphic designer, nor do I work at the Container Store; but when I think of how a Subway menu should be laid out, I don't think it should start with Pizza.

Call me crazy, but I think it should read:
- $5 Footlongs
- Other Subs
- Pizza
- Soups
- Sides
- Drinks

I know this new format might be confusing for those of you that were really into Choose Your Own Adventure books, but most of America reads left to right.

Subway, you are lame.  Organize your menu.

-m-

2 comments: