Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A Revolution in Gmail Starring Options

Many of you may have, like me, just noticed Gmails new options for starring email -- even though it came out last Spring.  They are called Superstars:





You might be thinking, "sweet, so many ways to keep track of important email!"

And you've already started to get organized.  "Orange-star, work related.  Red-star, duh, Aaron.  Purple-star, parents.  Blue-star, my besties!!!  Green-star, Groupon reminders.  Red-bang (ok, whatever, I mean, I had to hover over the icon to know it was a bang and not an exclamation point but no big) will be allocated for important email chains."

"Now, the orange arrows--" Okay, let me stop you there.

Those aren't arrows.  See below:







Hello, it's an orange guillemet.  How do you not know that word?




(dictionary.com)



You are clearly missing the logical progression from colored stars to difficult french words that Firefox's spell check doesn't even recognize:

Blue star... yaay!  Green star... yay!

ORANGE GUILLEMET.

"Well, Charles de Calonne; if the rich do not agree to pay their fair share of taxes, they shall be beheaded.  Oh yes, and please mark any incoming messages you receive from me regarding the Bastille raid with the clever little orange-guillemet Gmail has provided.  Au Revoir."

I just think it is maybe a little presumptuous of our friends at Gmail to well, a) think Google Buzz would catch on, but more importantly b) think anyone had any idea what in the world an orange guillemet was.

Maybe it's just me, and, yeah, maybe I was an English major, but I operate in a world of arrows, carrots, pointy parenthesis.

Save the guillemets for Jeopardy.

No comments:

Post a Comment